Austrian Science Fund (FWF)Open Access Block Grant
Since January 1, 2024, a new instrument within the funding framework for open-access publications associated with projects funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) has taken place. From this point forward, the processing of authors affiliated with Central European University will no longer be managed by the FWF; instead, it will be centrally administered by the CEU Library. The FWF’s Open Access Block Grant will replace the former FWF program, “Peer-Reviewed Publications.”
Funding Criteria for Journal Articles
- Funding is available to cover Article Processing Charges from peer-reviewed journal articles originating from projects funded by the Austrian Science Fund.
- Funded articles must comply with the Austrian Science Fund’s Open Access policy.
- Financial support applies to articles published in either:
- Fully Open Access journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), or
- Subscription journals, under the framework of a transformative publishing agreement (“hybrid Open Access”). It is important to note that this option is viable only until 2027 if the Central European University has an agreement with the publisher.
- The Austrian Science Fund is acknowledged with the following statement:
“This research was funded in whole or in part by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) [grant DOI]. For open access purposes, the author has applied a CC BY public copyright license to any author-accepted manuscript version arising from this submission.”
This passage ensures that publications in Closed Access journals can be published in their accepted manuscript version without any embargo period via Green OA (provided the Rights Retention Statement is accepted as- is and not rendered void by conflicting agreements with the publisher). For additional information see Plan S Rights Retention Strategy.
- The “corresponding author” must have a valid affiliation with Central European University.
- Published articles are required to adopt the Creative Commons BY License (CC BY) and without an embargo period.
- Funding eligibility applies exclusively to newly submitted articles.
- There is no legal entitlement for funding.
- Articles funded through the Austrian Science Fund’s Open Access block grant will be preserved in CEU’s Open Research Repository.
Not included in the Austrian Science Fund Block Grant
- Peer-reviewed monographs, complete edited volumes, and/or eBooks. For these exists a separate funding program.
- Charges for Open Access publication that is delayed or published retroactively.
- Reimbursements for invoices already settled in connection with Article Processing Charges.
- Additional expenses and supplementary fees associated with publications, including submission fees, color charges, page charges, and similar costs.
- Translation fees
- Publication in Hybrid Journals, which are not part of the agreement mentioned above.
- Publications subject to a license different from CC BY.
- Costs for publications in hybrid OA journals (except the ones from Publisher CEU has a publishing agreement).
Before submitting your manuscript to the publisher, contact email@example.com to ensure that the Open Access Block Grant covers your costs.
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
- ROARMAP (Browse Funder Mandates)
- Creative Commons license options
- Open Access Primer
Learn more in these presentations
- CIVICA Research Open Science for the Social Sciences
Presentations on the application of Open Science principles to Social Science research
- Presentations delivered at the OA session on 2023-11-07